Bruce Lehrmann fronts court for first time over alleged Parliament House rape of Brittany Higgins

Rape-accused Bruce Lehrmann, left, and alleged victim Brittany Higgins. Pictures: Supplied, Karleen Minney
Rape-accused Bruce Lehrmann, left, and alleged victim Brittany Higgins. Pictures: Supplied, Karleen Minney

The man accused of raping former political staffer Brittany Higgins at Parliament House has personally fronted court for the first time, albeit in a virtual capacity, as a mix-up with the brief of evidence caused a slight delay.

Bruce Lehrmann, 26, dialled into the ACT Magistrates Court via phone from Queensland on Thursday morning.

He spoke only to confirm that he could hear the proceedings.

It had been expected that Mr Lehrmann would be committed to the ACT Supreme Court for trial, having previously had solicitor Warwick Korn plead not guilty on his behalf to a charge of sexual intercourse without consent.

But Mr Korn's father, barrister John Korn, asked magistrate Beth Campbell on Thursday for a three-week adjournment.

He said he was hoping to have a conference with Mr Lehrmann during that period, but it was not yet clear whether he would be able to travel to Queensland or whether they would need to speak over a video link.

Korn senior also said a new copy of the brief of evidence had been couriered to his home on Tuesday and he now needed time to finish reading it.

He said he was returning a "stick" on which another version, containing information he should not have had, was given to him.

ACT director of public prosecutions Shane Drumgold SC told the court he did not oppose the adjournment, though "we remain ready to commit".

Ms Campbell listed the matter for committal on November 5.

Police allege Mr Lehrmann raped Ms Higgins in the office of Linda Reynolds when the pair worked for the federal government minister in March 2019.

While the identities of alleged rape victims are ordinarily suppressed, Ms Higgins has consented to being named in media coverage of the case.

Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:

This story Alleged Higgins rapist fronts court for first time amid mix-up first appeared on The Canberra Times.