Two men have been charged after allegedly assaulting police after being asked to wear a mask while in a shopping centre in Wetherill Park last night.
Fairfield City Police Area Command officers were conducting routine patrols at a shopping complex on Polding Street, Wetherill Park, at 7.30pm on Thursday (January 14), when they stopped and spoke to two men who were not wearing masks.
Police say the two men allegedly became aggressive and argumentative towards the two female officers.
Police say they attempted to restrain the men but when they allegedly resisted, OC spray was deployed.
A 51-year-old man and a 39-year-old man were arrested and taken to Fairfield Police Station where they were charged with:
- Assault officer in execution of duty
- Intimidate police officer in execution of duty
- Resist officer in execution of duty
- Not wear fitted face covering in retail/business premises
- Fail to comply requirement public health order - COVID-19.
They were released on conditional bail to appear in Fairfield Local Court on Monday, February 8 2021.
One of the officers suffered minor injuries.