Kianna Spicer from the Liverpool Salvos said after the "devastating" year that has been, it is more important than ever to "look out for one another, to connect with each other and embrace the true meaning of Christmas."
The Salvos are planning a number of COVID-Safe Christmas events and church services this festive season with the Liverpool Salvos ( 51-55 Memorial Avenue, Liverpool) hosting a free Community Take-Away Christmas Meal on Monday, December 21 from 11am to 1pm for those doing it tough this year.
Last week the Salvation Army launched its annual Christmas Appeal aiming to raise $12 million to help those doing it tough during the festive season with many Australians living below the poverty line.
Already this year, the Salvos have helped more than 80,000 people impacted by COVID-19, providing over $10 million worth of financial assistance. They also expect an increased numbers of people spending the Christmas period alone, due to the impact of the coronavirus
At Christmas, Salvation Army teams will:
- Distribute more than 30,000 hampers and vouchers.
- Give out over $1.3 million worth of gifts and toys.
- Support more than 50,000 families in need.
- Provide more than 130,000 meals.
- Provide more than 65,000 beds for those who need a place to stay and more than 7600 families with accommodation.
"Christmas is the busiest time of the year for our Salvation Army personnel, and we are expecting to see a large increase in demand for our services this year due to the challenges raised through drought, bushfires and COVID-19. We would ask you to support our Christmas Appeal this year, to help us leave no one in need this Christmas," Mrs Spicer said.
"Anyone in need this Christmas can reach out to us by calling 9601 2813 and we'll do all we can to support you. We have toy hampers for children under-10 years and food hampers available. We don't want anyone to go it alone this year, if you need food, gifts, financial support or are feeling lonely, please get in touch with us."
- Donate to The Salvation Army's Christmas Appeal at salvationarmy.org.au or by calling 13 SALVOS (13 72 58). Donations can also be made in person at any Kmart store.