Police 'appalled' as drivers continue to drink-and-drive

Police 'appalled' as drivers continue to drink-and-drive

Traffic and Highway Patrol Commander, Assistant Commissioner Michael Corboy said despite 162 fewer people charged with drink-driving offences compared with the same time last year, some people are still not getting the message.

Police issued a media release saying they were "appalled at drivers who continue to drink and drive" as Operation Safe Return concluded on Monday.

Double demerits were in force throughout the four days of the Australia Day ling-weekend for speeding, seatbelt, mobile phone and motorcycle helmet offences.

Throughout the operation, police conducted more than 190,000 random breath tests across the state and charged 316 people with drink-driving and nearly 5000 people were caught speeding.

"We continue to encourage drivers to organise alternative transport when they are drinking; however, some choose to continue to put themselves, other road users and pedestrians at risk by driving while over the limit," Assistant Commissioner Corboy said.

"Remember, as a driver you are not only responsible for your own safety but the safety of everyone in your car."

Two people lost their lives during Operation Safe Return bringing the total fatalities in NSW for 2020 to four.

This story Police 'appalled' as drivers continue to drink-and-drive first appeared on Fairfield City Champion.