FIRE UPDATE | Mayor thanks emergency services for Moorebank response

Liverpool mayor Wendy Waller has thanked emergency services for their responses to the challenging fire in the Moorebank industrial area that's burned for just over a day.

The fire broke out on Tuesday last week on Yulong Place, with the blaze's intensity, explosions and dense smoke prompting the evacuation of more than 100 people from 40 nearby homes and another 200 from neighbouring businesses.

Ms Waller said Liverpool Council quickly initiated its emergency-response plan, preparing the Chipping Norton Boatshed to potentially shelter up to 50 residents who could not return to their homes last night.

"Only a handful of people dropped in, but left by about 8pm after they found somewhere to stay overnight," she said. "The council was ready to support them but it's pleasing that everyone was able to find accommodation."

The regional emergency-management officer also asked that the council's depot on Rose Street at Liverpool be prepared for use as a local control centre for emergency services. It wasn't needed.

The council's staff helped emergency-services staff day and night with traffic control and helped deliver materials.

The NSW Environmental Protection Agency is advising on potential pollution effects.


Firefighters trying to put out a factory fire at Moorebank were hampered by a tank of lavender oil that had caught fire and spilt onto nearby grass.

The blaze at Baker & Co on Yulong Close started just before 2pm on Tuesday last week, causing intense heat and intermittent explosions.

Dozens of residents on nearby Collie Crescent, which backs onto the site, were evacuated but were later allowed to return home.

Crews remained on site on Wednesday after a wall collapsed on a large tank of lavender oil, which was burning and producing potentially hazardous gases.

Fire & Rescue's Rob Jansen said a dam had been built to contain the run-off oil and other substances, some of which made its way to the Georges River.

Suction trucks were being used to remove the run-off at the dam and the river.

Mr Jansen said while the blaze had been reduced significantly, the fire was still burning underneath some collapsed walls.

A structural engineer was on-site and Fire & Rescue officers were planning to knock down walls in danger of collapsing and to get access to burning material.

The cause of the fire remains unclear.