POLICE | 13,519 fines issued across NSW over Easter

Generic image. Picture: NSW Police
Generic image. Picture: NSW Police

Operation Tortoise over the Easter long weekend kept NSW police busy with a concerning number of drivers speeding, some involved in pursuits.

Three people died.

The state's Easter road-safety operation began at midnight on April 18 and ran to midnight last Monday.

Police across NSW targeted speeding, phone, seatbelt and motorcycle-helmet offences, all of which scored double demerit points.

Traffic and Highway Patrol Commander, Assistant Commissioner MichaelCorboy, said while there was a positive change in this year's figures, many drivers were irresponsible.

"It's encouraging that police have handed out significantly fewer infringements and charges than last year's operation and I think the commonsense shown by the vast majority of road-users and good road management by officers of the Traffic & Highway Patrol Command has contributed greatly," he said.

"The consequences of stopping when directed and facing police are often far less severe than attempting to evade our officers. Driving irresponsibly and fleeing from police will only endanger the lives of the public, our officers and yourself.

"It's also positive to see proactive work by our police on the road has seen prohibited drugs intercepted and prevented from hitting the street."

Local case from Day 3

About 7.50pm, officers attached to the Joint Traffic Task Force doing stationary speed enforcement saw a silver Lexus doing burnouts at the intersection of Heathcote Road and Walder Road at Hammondville. Police stopped the car on Stewart Avenue and spoke with the driver, a man, 22, before doing checks which revealed he didn't have a current licence and the car's tyres were dangerously worn with exposed canvas and wire. He was later charged with driving with a refused licence (second offence), burnout and dangerous driving and got a major defect notice for his car. He was issued a court-attendance notice to be in Liverpool court on June 12.

Local cases from Day 4

A Bonnyrigg man, 30, was charged with high-range drink driving after a head-on crash at EdensorPark about 2.13am. A Honda Civic was allegedly driven onto the wrong side of Edensor Road and collided head on with a Toyota Landcruiser. After stopping, the driver did a U-turn trying to flee, before crashing into a police car. He was arrested and returned an alleged breath-test reading of 0.220. He was charged with high-range drink-driving and his licence was suspended.

An unlicensed Miller man, 45, was charged with high-range drink driving after being stopped at Liverpool just after 3am. A Mazda 3 was seen being driven south on the Hume Highway before turning left onto Rose Street and doing a U-turn. Officers stopped the driver and gave him a breath test which was positive, with an alleged reading of 0.222. He was arrested and charged with high-range drink-driving and unlicensed driving. He's due in Liverpool court on May 15.

Key statistics (cumulative total)

  • Total fines: 13,519
  • Non-speeding fines: 8337
  • Speeding fines: 5182
  • Breath tests: 255,323
  • Drink-driving charges: 228
  • Lives lost: 3