POLICE NEWS | Hit 10 cars, a speed sign and a fence

$400,000 CANNABIS RAID: Wetherill Park enforcement squad raided a plantation at  Hinchinbrook. Picture: Generic image
$400,000 CANNABIS RAID: Wetherill Park enforcement squad raided a plantation at Hinchinbrook. Picture: Generic image

About 10.15am last Sunday, Liverpool police and ambulance were called to the intersection of Webster Road and Reilly Street at Lurnea. A Rosemeadow man, 36, was driving a black Lexus on Reilly Street at a speed estimated to be over the limit.

He veered towards the kerb and hit a speed sign. In attempts to correct the car, he hit eight stationary cars parked on the street. The driver continued and collided with the rear of a car travelling in the same direction. He continued to drive along Reilly Street approaching the intersection of Webster Road.

He then collided with another car causing both cars to go through the roundabout and hit a fence. Police arrived shortly afterwards following many calls from the community. The driver appeared to be badly affected by a drug or alcohol. as well as being injured.

He was taken to Liverpool Hospital where he underwent drug and alcohol testing and was admitted due to injuries. Inquiries also revealed he’d been disqualified from driving until 2048. Investigations are continuing but the man will be charged with driving while disqualified, dangerous driving and other offences depending on results of drug and alcohol tests.

$400,000 cannabis plantation raid

About 4pm last Thursday, Wetherill Park enforcement squad went to Kestral Avenue at Hinchinbrook to search for a hydroponic cannabis plantation. Two men were at the home, arrested and taken to Liverpool police station.

Police seized 204 cannabis plants with an estimated street value of $408,000 as well as equipment used in the cultivation process. The men, a Guildford man, 23, and a Canley Heights man, 22,were charged with cultivating a prohibited plant (commercial quantity) and unauthorised use of electricity. Both were refused bail and remanded to be in Liverpool court on August 10.

Government office damaged

Liverpool police arrested a man at Lachlan Street after a two-day operation to find him. On July 30, the man went to a government building and damaged the office. Then he emailed employees of the organisation over the next days making threats to staff and the building.

He was arrested and charged with an outstanding warrant, causing malicious damage and harassing emails. Bail was refused. He’s due in Liverpool court on September 19.

Racist comments made to family

About 4pm last Saturday, Liverpool police were called to Scott Street at Liverpool because a Mount Pritchard man, 46, had allegedly assaulted a family without provocation. He was standing on Scott Street and verbally abused a husband and wife with their children, 7 and 7 months. He made a racially motivated comments and spat in the direction of the couple’s baby in a pram.

The husband pushed the offender away who then punched his face. The wife tried to intervene when the man grabbed her by her clothing and punched her in the back of her head. One of his friends pulled him away and they left. Police arrived and found the offender who was arrested and taken to Liverpool police station. He was charged with malicious damage, assault (x 4) and intimidation. He was conditionally bailed to be in Liverpool court on August 29.

Drugs found after overdose

About 6.15am last Saturday, Liverpool police were called to George Street at Liverpool over a man suspected of overdosing. The Marayong man, 38, was taken to Liverpool Hospital in a critical and unstable condition. Over the bext hours, after medical intervention, he regained consciousness and was expected to recover. Police found his car and searched it. They found drug equipment and a large quantity of suspected GHB. Following investigations, police charged him with supplying a prohibited drug (indictable quantity) x 2 and having a prohibited drug. He was conditionally bailed to be in Liverpool court on August 22.