POLICE NEWS | Boy, 14, charged with two assaults, plus other news

A boy, 14, has been charged after two separate assaults on young women at Bonnyrigg last week. Police arrested him on Friday at a Bonnyrigg address and charged him with two counts of assault causing bodily harm after two "frightening" attacks – one on Tuesday evening, another on Thursday afternoon – on young women. The attacks occurred 500 metres apart. About 6.50pm on Tuesday, police allege a woman, 23 was walking on Harah Close when a male grabbed her from behind. She was allegedly thrown to the ground, her mouth covered with his hands. Two days later, the same boy allegedly attacked again, this time in daylight. Another, woman, also 23, was walking along the T-way near the northbound bus stop next to Brown Road when a male approached her from behind. She said he grabbed her from behind, put her in a choke hold, dragged her behind the bus stop and pushed her to the ground. She tried to scream but he punched her head. She tried again and he ran away. "I can't understand how this could happen pretty much in the middle of the day in a public area," Detective Superintendent Peter Lennon said on Friday. "It's frightening. People need to be aware of their surrounds as they move around.” Fairfield police started an investigation into both assaults and arrested the boy at a property on Montgomery Road. He was refused bail and was in court on Saturday.

Harah Close. Picture: Simon Bennett

Harah Close. Picture: Simon Bennett

Car rego didn’t match his vehicle

About 10.10pm on May 7, police entered the carpark of a licensed premises at Green Valley where a silver Audi was seen. Police checked the registration which did not match the vehicle. A Rooty Hill man, 34, was with the vehicle. Police were able to identify the vehicle which had expired registration as a result of a defect notice issued last year. Police searched the man and found a small amount of alleged ice and some cash. Police searched the vehicle and found an expandable baton on the front passenger seat. After further enquiries, the man was arrested and taken to Liverpool police station and charged with using a defected vehicle, using an unregistered vehicle, using an uninsured vehicle, having a prohibited drug, having goods in custody, having a prohibited weapon, using a vehicle with unauthorised registration plates and not carrying a license. He was conditionally bailed to appear at Liverpool court on June 13. 

Forms, drugs, records seized

Police have charged a man and a woman after alleged medical supplies were seized at a property at Ashcroft. About 9am on May 8 Liverpool police searched a unit complex on Sutton Road and seized several items, including prescription forms, doctors’ stamps, medical details of individuals and prescription drugs.

A woman, 43, and a man, 47, were arrested at the scene and taken to Liverpool police station.

The woman was charged with nine offences, including owner/occupier letting the unit be used as drug premises, restricted substance sold by non-wholesaler, possess/attempt to prescribe restricted substances, having suspected stolen goods, forging or altering a prescription for prescribed restricted substances, having a forged prescription, having identity information to commit an indictable offence and inducing dispensing of substance by false representation.

The man was charged 10 offences, including: owner/occupier knowingly allow use as drug premises; restricted substance sold by non-wholesaler; possess/attempt to prescribed restricted substance; goods in personal custody suspected being stolen; forge/alter prescription for prescribed restricted substance; having a forged prescription; having identity info to commit an indictable offence, inducing dispensing of substance by false representation (x 2) and having a prohibited drug.

Both were refused bail and were in Liverpool court last Wednesday where they were remanded to re-appear on June 20.

Disqualified period bumped by two years

About 9am on May 9, Liverpool police were travelling along Elizabeth Drive near McLean Street when a dark Mercedes was seen to do an illegal U-turn. Checks revealed it was unregistered. Police stopped the driver on North Liverpool Road. Checks indicated the driver, a Liverpool man, 24, was disqualified in 2016 until 2026 and he had an outstanding Warrant. He was arrested and taken to Liverpool police station where he was charged with making an illegal U-turn, driving an unregistered and uninsured car, disqualified driving and the outstanding warrant. He was refused bail to be in Liverpool court on May 10 when he was fined and jailed for 10 months for the illegal U-turn and being unregistered and uninsured. His disqualification was extended by two years. 

Two men break in and attack man

Two men were arrested by Liverpool detectives after a targeted home invasion in Cartwright about 7.50pm on May 08. The victim was at his home when he noticed some men walking toward his home. They forced the front door open and came inside. They assaulted the male victim, causing facial injuries including a laceration to his eyebrow and a swollen jaw. Two men surrendered to Liverpool police at the police station in the evening of May 9. Both were charged with aggravated attack and committing a serious indictable offence. Bail was refused and they were in Liverpool court on May 10 when they were conditionally bailed to return to Liverpool court on July 4. 

Fire destroys two homes, damages third

Police and Fire & Rescue were called to Napier Avenue at Lurnea about 12.30pm on May 9 as a result of a house fire which started in the laundry and quickly spread through the home and to two other homes. Two homes were totally destroyed, the third significantly damaged. Preliminary investigations suggest the fire started as a result of electrical fault or appliance fault. Police will prepare a report to the Coroner, however, the fire is deemed non-suspicious. 

Man attacked with a crowbar

About 12.20pm on May 9, Liverpool police were called to Kosciusko Place at Heckenberg about an assault. It is alleged a Heckenberg man, 38, was filming a Warwick Farm man, 44, on his mobile phone. It’s alleged the older man approached the victim and struck him several times in the head and upper body with a crowbar, causing significant head injuries. The victim was taken to Liverpool with non-life threatening injuries. Police arrived a short time later and found the assailant at home on Eucumbene Street at Heckenberg where he was arrested. He was taken to Liverpool police station and charged with reckless wounding. He is due in Liverpool court on June 6.

Firearm brandished at service station

About 3.45am on May 12, a male described as wearing a black motorcycle helmut, a charcoal jacket with white writing, blue pants and gloves entered a service station on Camden Valley Way at Prestons. He was brandishing a firearm and demanded money. The operator complied and the offender ran away and got into a red car which was driven along Ash Road. Police are seeking the help of anyone who has information regarding this. 

Five people were sent to hospital

The crash investigation unit is investigating two separate accidents in Liverpool on Monday which left five people in hospital. It is alleged a Glenfield man, 29, was driving along Moorebank Avenue at Hoslworthy when his car veered to the wrong side of the road and collided with a car driven by a The Oaks man, 25. The first car rolled and collided with a third car driven by a Liverpool man, 23. All men were taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries. About 9pm, a woman in her 20s was driving a silver Holden Commodore along Newbridge Road at Moorebank. The car left the road and hit a power pole. The driver and her friend, a woman in her 20s, were taken to Liverpool Hospital with serious leg injuries. The crash investigation unit is investigating both incidents. Any information to Liverpool police or CrimeStoppers or the metropolitan crash Investigation unit.