POLICE NEWS | Investigations into Carnes Hill street-racing continue

A man is in hospital and another charged after an alleged street race and crash at Carnes Hill on Sunday. About 6.40pm, a black Mazda RX-7 and a white Toyota ’86 coupe were reportedly racing on Cowpasture Road when the Mazda crossed the road and hit a tree.

The driver, a Renwick man, 40, was trapped for 90 minutes before being released by emergency services. He was taken by paramedics to Liverpool Hospital with critical head injuries. The other driver reportedly left before police arrived. Metropolitan Crash Investigation Unit officers established a crime scene which was forensically examined. The Toyota driver, a Toongabbie man, 21, returned that night and was arrested. He was taken to Liverpool Hospital for mandatory blood and urine tests then taken to Liverpool police station. The Toyota was found at Prestons and was seized for forensic analysis. The man was later charged with dangerous driving and running a car race. He was granted conditional bail and is due in Liverpool court on April 4. The Metropolitan Crash Investigation Unit continues to investigate.

  • Any information to Crime Stoppers, 1800 333 000. 

Drug setup found during search

On March 5, Wetherill Park Region Enforcement Squad police searched a home on Kennedy Street at Liverpool after information was received from the public. No one was home at the time. They found an elaborate hydroponic set-up used to cultivate cannabis. A total of 113 plants worth an estimated $313,000 were seized  as well as equipment used to cultivate the plants. Investigations continue. 

Man stabbed during brawl

About 11.30pm on March 5, police were called to the 7/11 service station on Elizabeth Drive at Liverpool because a large group of men were fighting. Before police arrived, a man, 19, was stabbed on his right side. He was taken to Liverpool Hospital in a stable condition. Police spoke to many people about the incident. They determined that a man wearing white camouflage clothes ran away along Park Lane before the police arrived.

  • Any information to Liverpool detectives. 

Alleged armed robbery at Aldi

About 3.45pm last Wednesday, a Miller man, 34, and woman, 35, attended Miller shops where it’s alleged the man entered Aldi and produced a knife on a cashier, demanding money. Fearing for his safety, the cashier complied. The man then threatened other staff and customers before leaving. He was seen to take off his jacket and hide the knife in the jacket which he put into a trolley. Police arrived immediately and confronted the pair. Both were directed away from the trolley but the woman reached out for the jacket with the knife. Police pulled her way from the trolley. She began punching one officer in the head.

Soon afterwards, other police arrived and restrained the pair. Police found the weapon and proceeds of the offence. The pair were taken to Green Valley police station where the woman was charged with helping an armed robbery with a weapon and assaulting police. She was later conditionally bailed and is due in Liverpool court on March 29. The man complained of a medical condition and was taken to Liverpool Hospital. Police will speak to him when released. 

Driving while disqualified

About 8.50am last Wednesday, Liverpool Pro-active Unit police at Warwick Farm stopped a car driven by a Casula woman, 46. They  found she was disqualified until 2034. They suspected she was affected by something and was subjected to random breath and drug tests. The drug test was positive. She was arrested and taken to Liverpool police station for another drug test and then charged with driving while disqualified.

Investigations are under way in relation to driving under the influence. She was conditionally bailed to be in Liverpool court on April 4.


Men set upon by other men

About 5.30pm on March 5, the victim attended Miller shopping centre to visit a friend who lived nearby. The victim was approached by a Miller man, 30, and they argued and the victim was assaulted. The victim’s friend came to help  and they were set upon by other people. The altercation continued for some time and the victim was stabbed several times in the legs and torso. More people became involved and nearby residents intervenes. The male was taken to Liverpool Hospital for his injuries which weren’t life-threatening. Two days later Liverpool detectives arrested a Miller man, 30, and took him to Liverpool police station and charged him with aggravated robbery and wounding, reckless wounding in company, affray and being armed with intent. Bail was refused he was remanded to appear in Campbelltown court on May 9. Another two days later detectives arrested a juvenile and took him to Liverpool police station where he was charged with affray and assault causing physical harm. Investigations continue in relation to other involved offenders. 

Speeding on a bike and collides with car

Liverpool police are investigating a car accident which occurred about 5.45pm last Thursday on Maxwells Avenue at Ashcroft.  An Ashcroft man, 20, was riding a motorcycle reportedly over the speed limit. A car travelling in front of the bike slowed after indicating to turn right into Stanwell Crescent. The motorcyclist was allegedly speeding close behind the car. The motorcyclist tried to avoid colliding with the car but lost control of the bike and hit the car. His ankle was badly injured. He was taken to Liverpool Hospital with a severe fracture. Police are yet to speak with the rider due to his injuries but inquiries indicated the rider was disqualified from riding a motorcycle. Police are also investigating reports that the bike was stolen. 

Man extradited from Brisbane

Liverpool detectives investigated two reports of robbery offences which occurred in June 2016 and identified a man, 26. Shortly after the offences, it’s believed the offender left the country. Last Wednesday, Queensland authorities detained the man at Brisbane airport upon his return to Australia. Liverpool detectives extradited him and charged him twice with robbery, once involving a weapon. Bail was refused and he was in Liverpool court two days later where he was conditionally bailed to appear in Campbelltown court on May 9. 

Cannabis worth $628,000 found

About 8am last Friday, Wetherill Park Region Enforcement Squad police searched a home on Coffs Harbour Avenue at Hoxton Park. No one was home. They found a cannabis-cultivation system in five rooms of the two-storey house and 188 plants were removed along with more than 10kg of cannabis, worth an estimated $628,000. The sophisticated hydroponic system was dismantled and will be forensically examined. Investigations continue.

  • Any information to Crime Stoppers, 1800 333 000. 


Discuss "Trapped 90 minutes"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.