Liverpool man among six arrested after drug raids

Drug squad officers have seized approximately $3.5 million worth of drugs and arrested six people, including a Liverpool man, following raids in Sydney and Canberra on Thursday.

Strike Force Siddon was formed by the Drug Squad early in 2013 to investigate a drug supply syndicate operating in parts of southern NSW.

A partnership was subsequently formed with detectives from ACT Policing, when it became evident that the syndicate was also operating in parts of Canberra.

Yesterday, officers from NSW arrested a 34-year-old man in the car-park of a shopping centre on Orange Grove Road, Liverpool, after he was found to be in possession of one kilogram of methylamphetamine, known as ice.

Drug Squad detectives estimate that the methylamphetamine seized has a potential street value of $1 million.

Following the man’s arrest, a search warrant was executed at his home on Whitford Road, Green Valley, where police located and seized cash and a small amount of cannabis.

The man was taken to Liverpool police station where he was charged with:

- One count of supply large commercial quantity of prohibited drug;

- One count of indictable supply of prohibited drug; and,

- Two counts of supply prohibited drug.

He was refused bail to appear in Liverpool Local Court today, Friday, April 4.

In the ACT, officers from ACT Policing’s Drug and Organised Crime Team executed simultaneous Drugs of Dependence Act search warrants on four residences – two in Evatt, one in Flynn and another in Mawson.

During the searches, police located and seized an estimated total of 800 hydroponically grown cannabis plants from three of the premises, 17 kilograms of packaged cannabis, drug growing equipment, paraphernalia and an amount of cash. The potential street value of the drugs seized is estimated to be approximately $2.5 million.

A 42-year-old Macquarie man was arrested and is expected to be extradited by NSW Police today, Friday, April 4.

Four Chinese nationals, two men and two women, who were present during the execution of the search warrants, were also arrested and taken to the ACT Watch House.

They will face the ACT Magistrates Court this morning Friday, April 4, facing charges of trafficking in cannabis and artificial cultivation of a commercial quantity of cannabis.

A 43 year-old Mawson woman will be summonsed to appear at a later date.

The Commander of the NSW Police Force's Drug Squad, Detective Superintendent Tony Cooke, commended the professionalism of his officers and their counterparts in the ACT who worked together seamlessly to dismantle the drug supply syndicate. 

“The investigators involved in this operation, both from the NSW Police Force and ACT Policing, have done an excellent job,” Detective Superintendent Cooke said. 

“Their careful planning, investigative nous, and brilliant execution has resulted in us preventing a significant amount of drugs from reaching communities in both NSW and the ACT.”

Detective Sergeant Shane Scott from ACT Policing said yesterday’s successful operation was only possible through a strong and cooperative relationship with colleagues from NSW Police.

“This is an excellent example of ACT Policing’s close working relationship with our colleagues from NSW Police and how our processes are effective in achieving positive outcomes for the community in getting drugs off the street across jurisdictions,” Detective Sergeant Scott said.

Police are urging anyone with information about drug crime to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page: