Fireworks frighten pets

DOG groomer Dem Callisto knows how harmful fireworks can be for dogs and wants to warn others of their potential danger in the lead up to Australia Day.

"Pets suffer because of illegal fireworks," she said. "They hear things far greater than we do."

Crystal, her dog of eight years, died trying to escape from her backyard on New Year's Eve two years ago.

Mrs Callisto was in Bali when a friend phoned her on New Year's Day to give her the news.

"My friend was feeding my dogs while I was on holidays and I got the phone call to say Crystal had died trying to run away from the noise of the fireworks," Mrs Callisto said. "Crystal was stuck between the fence palings and was bleeding from her paws."

This New Year's Eve, Mrs Callisto's dog Kaira, daughter of Crystal, stayed indoors with them until after midnight.

"We would have loved to have gone to see friends but we can't because of the dogs," she said.

Mrs Callisto was afraid of what might happen while she was out.

She said she had spoken with other dog owners who had similar concerns about fireworks.

"I'm against the ones being lit in backyards — they are dangerous and illegal," Mrs Callisto said.

Green Valley police Superintendent James Johnson has given a reminder to residents that a WorkCover Authority of NSW licence is required to manufacture, sell or handle fireworks.

"The use of fireworks can cause significant injury to individuals as well as cause stress to animals," he said.

"It is not uncommon for dogs and other animals to take flight when they hear fireworks."

Mr Johnson said Green Valley police were called to a number of incidents where youths were throwing fireworks from moving vehicles on New Year's Eve.

It is unknown how these fireworks were obtained.

Police can issue on-the-spot fines of up to $1000 for possession of a firework.

WorkCover NSW can also investigate.



Discuss "Fireworks frighten pets"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.