Ange Postecoglou officially steps down as Australian Socceroos coach

Ange Postecoglou and Mile Jedinak. Photo: AAP
Ange Postecoglou and Mile Jedinak. Photo: AAP

Ange Postecoglou has officially stepped down as Socceroos coach.

Football Federation Australia and Postecoglou confirmed the news at a press conference in Sydney on Wednesday morning.

"A tough morning for me and probably DG [FFA CEO David Gallop] as well, a tough 24 hours," Postecoglou said.

"The journey for me ends as Socceroos coach."

Postecoglou said it was not the ending he had envisaged when he started but he knew it was the right time and the right decision.

"To the players, I love coaching Australian players. I've often said to them when you make a choice in this country to play football... you're choosing the hardest possible road and that takes courage, and that's why I love coaching Australian players.

"It's been the greatest privilege to me to coach our best players and I'll be forever indebted to them."

"The journey for me ends as Socceroos coach."

Ange Postecoglou

Gallop said he was disappointed Postecoglou would not be going with the Socceroos to Russia but thanked him and said he had given Socceroos fans "a sense of optimism".

"I'm disappointed and still a bit puzzled but still supportive that you reach a point where you know you need to do something new," Gallop said.

"Ange's record speaks for itself.

"It's important that we get the right person to fill the big shoes. One thing I do know that the standards that Ange set ... will now always be there and that's a huge part of the legacy that Ange leaves for the boys and the staff."

Postecoglou was visibly emotional when thanking his family for their support.

"To my three boys, James, Max, Alexi, you make me smile every day and to my beautiful wife ... I left 24 hours after Max was born because we played Ecuador in London ... I'll never be able to repay the sacrifices she's made.

"It's been the toughest decision ... but it won't take way how rich this experience has truly been."

There had been much speculation over what the coach will do ahead of next year's World Cup after he refused to confirm he would lead the Socceroos to Russia.

He and FFA officials held discussions in Sydney on Tuesday.

Postecoglou, appearing on the ABC's Offsiders program on Sunday, implied that the month-long saga over his future had in part been dragged out so that he could be a shield for his players and take the pressure off them as pressure mounted during the World Cup play-offs.

"It will happen this week, it's got to happen quickly. You don't want to be continually asked, and I have tried to be as honest as I can with people saying it will all be decided after this game [the win over Honduras]," he said on Sunday.

"We will have those discussions this week and we will come to a resolution.

"[My mindset] fluctuates all the time. I can't say that I am locked to a position.

"There are things there, for a whole range of reasons, some are personal, some are fairly private, some are just me as a person, some are professional, that all need to be put into place, and what's going to be good for the team is also a consideration."

Postecoglou currently has a contract that lasts until the end of the World Cup. 

Australia reached the World Cup after defeating Honduras 3-1 in their intercontinental play-off.

The story, Postecoglou steps down as Socceroos coach, first appeared on the Sydney Morning Herald.