Police discover new lead on Liverpool Council Chambers fire

Detectives investigating the fire that destroyed the Liverpool Council Chambers on August 15 2010, have discovered new information about why the fire was lit.

The property was engulfed in flames and caused $20 million in damage.

Initial inquiries revealed the building’s alarm had been activated just after midnight, and the fire was deemed to be suspicious. They also believe there may have been more than one person involved.

After the incident a crime scene was established and examined by fire investigators and specialist forensic officers but they still have not identified who was involved.

However, Property Crime Squad Commander, Detective Superintendent Murray Chapman said they recently received new insight into the arsonist’s motive.

“Strike Force Gideon has recently received new information about a possible motive for the fire, and they are seeking further information from the community,” Det Supt Chapman said.

“Detectives have been told the fire may have been lit following a dispute over a council-issued fine. Given the extensive damage caused by the fire, we also believe there was more than one person inside the chambers that night, and likely there are others who know more than they’ve told police.

“We are continuing to analyse relevant records and data from around that time, but investigators believe there are people who have knowledge of the dispute but might not realise the connection to the fire.

“If you know something that may assist us, now is the time to come forward – before someone else does.”

Police are urging anyone with information that may assist Strike Force Gideon investigators to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.