THE federal government has committed to transforming the two-lane rural roads leading to Badgerys Creek to airport highways.
The government announced in the recent budget it would be funding a $2.9 billion infrastructure package for Elizabeth Drive, The Northern Road and Bringelly Road over the next four years.
Elizabeth Drive will be transformed into a motorway leading to the airport at Badgerys Creek, at a cost of $1.25 billion.
The Northern Road is set to be upgraded between Narellan Road and the M4 at a cost of $1.6 billion and Bringelly Road will be upgraded between the Northern Road and Camden Valley Way at a cost of $500 million.
All of the works are expected to be completed before the airport starts operating.
Luddenham resident Peter Carr said the roads funding promised was a good start.
"I think they've identified the right roads and those works will help a lot," Mr Carr said.
"I'm pleased that we're finally getting some infrastructure improvements after all these years."
Bringelly resident Pauline Rowe said more needed to be done.
"Those roads are very important, but almost every road in the rural area needs to be fixed," Ms Rowe said.
"They're going to need more road connections than that to actually make the airport happen.
"Particularly if it's going to be freight airport and we're going to see thousands of trucks travelling from the site out to the rest of Sydney."
The government also committed a further $200 million in funding for local roads.
When he announced the infrastructure package Prime Minister Tony Abbott said the federal and state governments would jointly fund the road infrastructure plan through an 80:20 funding split.
"This investment will relieve pressure on existing infrastructure and unlock the economic capacity of the region by easing congestion, slashing travel times and creating thousands of local jobs," Mr Abbott said.
PLANNED ROAD WORKS
The Northern Road:
- Commonwealth contribution: $1.3 billion.
- Construction in stages: Starting in the south in 2015-16.
- To be completed by 2019-20.
- To include interchanges at Elizabeth Drive and Bringelly Road.
- Commonwealth contribution: $1.25 billion.
- Construction to be completed ‘‘a few years prior to airport operations at Badgerys Creek’’.
- Works to include on/off ramps from M7.
- Commonwealth contribution: $400 million.
- Construction to be undertaken in two stages to be finished in 2018-19.