FOR the past 40 years it has existed under the shadow of plans for Sydney's second airport, but the history of the suburb of Badgerys Creek stretches out long before then.
In 1806 James Badgery was given a land grant of 340 hectares, most of which is contained in the modern suburb. The land was bounded by South Creek and another creek which he named Badgerys Creek in honour of his children Ann, Henry and Andrew and then unborn child William.
Mr Badgery, who arrived in Australia with his wife Elizabeth in 1799 on board the Walker, called the property Exeter Farm after his home town in England.
Mr Badgery was a farmer who also worked as a miller and owned a bakery.
John Blaxland also owned part of the modern day Badgerys Creek as part of a large tract of land called Luddenham which contained the modern day suburb of the same name and Wallacia.
After the subdivision of Exeter Farm and Luddenham estate in the 1880s, the area became one of small farms carrying out activities such as dairy farming, bee keeping and poultry farming.
There were also a number of orchards and market gardens in the area.
Badgerys Creek Public School was opened in 1895 and continued operating as either a full school, a provisional school or, when the numbers fell to below the required minimum, a subsidised school ever since.
In the early 1900s, there were about 40 families living in Badgerys Creek and the village had several stores and two churches, the Methodist (later Uniting) church and the St John's Anglican Church, both since demolished.
In 1981 the population of Badgerys Creek was 1560, but once the government bought up properties for the proposed airport site in 1986, it started falling and was 455 by 2011.