ADAM Sakkar, aged 2, was born with profound hearing loss.
The result of an infection that was transferred through the placenta during pregnancy, his condition was determined only during his post-natal Statewide Infant Screening Hearing (SWISH) test.
Up until eight months old, he had never heard a sound.
But that all changed when his cochlear implant was turned on for the first time.
The toddler can now hear a full range of sound and can speak and comprehend two languages.
Adam's mother Mariam said her son was noticeably shocked by the change.
"When his implant was first turned on, Adam had some mixed emotions. Mostly it was shock I think," she said.
"But he got used to it quickly and really embraced his new ability to hear."
Mrs Machlouch said a recent speech assessment found that her son was at normal speech capabilities for his age.
"We went from having a child that could not speak or hear, to having a little boy that can fully comprehend both English and Arabic," she said.
"If it weren't for the implant, he would have had a completely different life. It would have been very difficult for Adam to communicate with others.
"But now he is developing normally and is mainstream with everything."
Around one in every 1000 babies in Australia is born with profound hearing loss.
The SWISH test is administered shortly after birth to identify babies born with an impairment so appropriate intervention can be accessed by the time the child is six months.
Mrs Machlouch said she was grateful the screening was available to identify the problem early.
"Adam suffered profound bilateral hearing loss because I caught cytomegalovirus (CMV) during my pregnancy," she said.
CMV, a flu-like virus, is detrimental to the unborn if the mother catches the infection for the first time during pregnancy.
Babies who are infected with CMV before birth are at higher risk of developing birth defects such as small head size, enlarged liver, jaundice, anaemia, pneumonia, seizures and vision and hearing impairments .
Mrs Machlouch said she wanted greater awareness and education about CMV so expectant mums can take all necessary precautions.